Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Aging

I must agree with Tim O’Brien when he says that people never change throughout the course of their lives. Though some things might be different due to age or experience but by an overall view, people are always the same.
I too can relate to looking at old photographs and feeling a connection to the child I was then and the child I still am. In old photographs I am a timid little child afraid of people I do not know to well. I was even timid around people in my family and the people I call friends. Shyness never fades away. Sure my mother no longer combs my hair or picks out cute little outfits for me, but I have the same childish smile. My hair is darker and I am much taller, but I still sing to myself in the shower. Some things never change. I still like to be held and comforted. Nervousness still makes my stomach ache. I still keep to my self.
I believe that when I am forty I will still be this way. I will ask my wife to hold me and comfort me. I will learn more songs to sing in the shower. And I will still be hesitant to meet new people. I am not afraid to deny this. These characteristics have gotten me through my first seventeen years of life and I think they will stick with me for another seventeen or thirty-four years.
Though we might change physical, our childish emotional and psychological characteristics are always somewhere in our minds.

1 comment:

theteach said...

You write, "I believe that when I am forty I will still be this way. I will ask my wife to hold me and comfort me. I will learn more songs to sing in the shower. And I will still be hesitant to meet new people. I am not afraid to deny this. These characteristics have gotten me through my first seventeen years of life and I think they will stick with me for another seventeen or thirty-four years.

Beautifully poetic...
That you write so openly is a mark of accepting self without pretension. I hope that you find that person to hold and comfort you. I hope that between 17 and 40 and then beyond you find solace and strength in your shyness.

You may find a vocation where you will discover you can be gregarious and outgoing, but deep within, as you already are aware, you are shy but without fear. Know when you must return to being still and keeping to yourself. It will be those periods when you replenish your being and inner strength.